About This Blog and About Me

I am a sinner. I am a sinner who has been forgiven by Christ and who seeks to serve him.


This blog contains my daily thoughts and reflections on my journey to carry my cross and follow him.


I am a lay, married Catholic woman who works a day job, who continues to sin, and who continually must seek grace, mercy, and the strength to pick the cross back up when I fall and then continue on the journey.


I am not a theologian. These words are only my (hopefully) humble attempt to learn from my day and to share what I feel may be valuable to readers. If anything I write contradicts the teachings of the Church, it is not by design but by lack of knowledge or understanding on my part.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Learning From Sin: Lies About Sexuality: Service and Humiliation vs. Service and Humility

Humility and service to others are deeply written onto our hearts because it is God's will.  We ought to live in humble service to God and to each other.  Seeing Christ in others and then offering ourselves to others is a fundamental part of the four Gospels.

This is why service and humiliation within a BDSM context are so easily sought, especially within fantasy.  It is easy for the mind to say that there is no harm in these kinds of fantasies or actions because they are a direct perversion of service and humility.  It is no wonder that BDSM grabs hold of people within the context of fantasy. For someone who has shut out God or who is confused and not actively focused on God, service and humiliation are made to feel right by the twisting of the world, the flesh, and the evil one.  It is humble service to God and to others that the soul truly seeks.

Just as food is not a sin but gluttony is, service taken into the wrong context confuses a wandering soul.  Unfortunately for many, wandering souls truly seek God, but stumble upon evil that appears to be good.  Evil is seductive.  It rarely jumps up and down, proclaiming itself for what it truly is.

I praise and thank God for showing me why my own sins were able to hold me hostage for so long.  Now I must put this knowledge to good use, making sure I am serving him and serving others.  Knowledge is the first step.  Action must follow.  I will continue to write about this journey for many reasons.  One reason is that I feel called to do so.  Another is that this message must be heard.  Sexual perversion within the world of fantasy and within the world of BDSM exists for a reason.  It isn't evil for the sake of evil.  It is a twisting of one of our most intimate threads of a human fabric.  God created us as sexual beings, and praise be to him for doing so!  He is wise indeed!  He is a creative creator who gave us such a wonderful gift in our sexuality.

Sexuality, in my opinion, draws many people away from God because God desires intimacy with us.  Intimacy and all of its mysterious ways is what we desire.  Intimacy with God and intimacy with others.  False intimacy is destructive, but we can't see its destructiveness until we are removed from it, as is the case of someone who has committed sexual sins but later returns to Jesus.  Because of the private nature of sexual sins, we must always pray for those who have wandered away from Christ in this way.  People don't feel comfortable talking about sexual sins.

I don't feel comfortable writing about my own sexual sins, but I feel that I must because there are so, so many who are sinning in this private way behind closed doors.  The doors may be the doors of their houses, but so many times it is behind the closed doors of their minds.  The mind is both a spiritual haven and a spiritual battle ground.  Prayer is an effective weapon because the Holy Spirit uses prayer to open the doors and windows of our minds so that our minds, bodies, and souls can clearly see each other within the houses of our whole person.  They are interconnected in a way that only God understands, for he made us.  He made us well.

Let us rejoice in the wonder of his creation, in us!  Let us rejoice that God has designed us specifically for intimacy.  Let us seek true intimacy with him and with others with joyful hearts.  He calls us to draw near to him and take refuge, to delight in his peace.  Let us serve him with humility.